The Sunflower Communicator
|December 12, 2019||Volume 9, Number 52|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Manager: ext. 11
Community Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, & Wed:
7:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.
Tue, Thu, Fri & Sat:
7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours
Daily 5:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Current Number of Subscribers: 749
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers on a timely basis whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community.
The Latest News
1. ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICES: Will be closed Tuesday, December 24th, Wednesday, December 25th, Tuesday, December 31st and Wednesday, January 1st.
2. CRAZY RHYTHM: Come relax and reminisce to the sounds of the Big Band Era presented by Paul Mowatt and Allen Fannin. Fridays, December 13th and 27th in the Sunflower Fiesta Room 6:00 to 7:30 p.m. Feel free to bring your favorite beverages or snacks and invite your friends.
3. FOOD BANK/BRIGHTVIEW: Did you know that Sunflower residents donate to the Marana Food Bank and there is a basket to drop the food in at the Center? Our Sunflower Landscape Company (BrightView) would like to partner with Sunflower with a Canned Food Drive. BrightView will match in pounds what Sunflower donates to the Marana Food Bank from December 9th-23rd. Sunflower residents are very giving, let’s continue to be in the giving spirit during the holidays to help those in need with adding to this ongoing Food Drive.
4. GENEALOGY SOCIETY: Tuesday December 17th at 2:00 p.m. “Photo Finish: Dating, Identifying & Archiving Photographs” by Paulette Weiser, requests you bring in any photos you have that might be of interest; and if you have family photos that have stumped you, you may get some tips to help you in determining their date and their content.
5. HOMELESS ANIMALS: A donation box has been set up in the Village Center Lobby for homeless animals. Please drop off donated dog and cat food and towels and blankets (they don’t have to be new). If you need your item(s) picked up, drop your name and number in the donation box to schedule a pickup.
6. MARANA LIONS 4TH ANNUAL “YOUTH ON THEIR OWN”: Educating homeless teens. Investing in Arizona’s Future. Please donate personal hygiene items such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, body soap, hand sanitizers, shampoo, socks, underwear and gloves. The collection box will be at the Village Center for collections until January 1, 2020.
7. “MAY WE ALWAYS REMEMBER THEM”: ~A Holiday Service in Remembrance of Our Loved Ones~ Please join us for a brief gathering to remember your loved one’s life (yes, your deceased pets may be remembered, as well).
WHEN: Friday, December 20th at 6:30 p.m.
WHERE: Sunflower Community Center – back patio by the grill fireplace.
WHAT TO BRING: Photo of your loved one and a flashlight.
LEADER: Donna-Marie Terranova, Chaplain and Bereavement Counselor.
8. NEW YEARS EVE TICKETS: Sunflower residents, don't be the only one not to get one of the last few tickets for sale for New Years Eve. It is $15.00 per person. Party with you friends and neighbors this year. We have a great time and the DJ is said to be fabulous, we take your picture, we can't serve you liquor, but you can bring your own. We need your support to continue this tradition. Love to see you there. Call Sharon 520-401-8824 for tickets.
9. OLDIES KARAOKE: Fun Karaoke, including Al on trumpet plus favorite Singalongs on Tuesday, December 17th at 6:00 p.m.
10. PAINT – N – SIP NIGHT: Back by popular demand!!! Date: Friday, December 13th from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Tickets are required and will be available from Terri Lackey at 520-797-0349. Tickets cost $25.00 which includes everything to paint 2 wine glasses
11. PAINTING UNCORKED: All supplies included, $25. Sunday, December 15th - in the craft room. 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 a.m. For enrollment please call Sharon at 520-971-7769
12. PICKLEBALL HOLIDAY CAROLING AND PARTY: December 18, 2019. Meet at the Center at 4:30 p.m. Pickleball members are invited to meet at the Center to go caroling and enjoy cookies and hot cider afterward on the Patio. The Club will provide hot cider and we would like those participating to bring ½ dozen cookies. We will pass out copies of Christmas Carols to sing. If you know of neighbors who would enjoy our visit, please let us know.
13. POOL COMMITTEE: Are you passionate about the pool here at Sunflower? If so, volunteer to be part of the Pool Committee. Pick up an application at the front desk or download a Sunflower Committee Application online at Sunflowerliving.com, under forms. Please turn in applications to Ann Marie at the Village Center or email it to email@example.com
14. POTLUCK: Howdy Partners! The January 9, 2020, potluck will “sport” Western Attire. Get out those western hats, cowboy boots, bolo ties and come join in the fun. Tickets will go on sale Friday, Jan 3rd , 2020, 1:00 p.m. -3:00 p.m. and Monday, Jan. 6th, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Your hosts will be the Andersons, Johnsons, Moody and Elm/Neff: contact person is Audrey Anderson, (360) 774-6038.
15. SHRED-IT EVENT: Saturday, December 14th, 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (Event will conclude earlier if truck fills) at Twin Peaks Elementary School, 7995 W. Twin Peaks Rd.
16. SOLICITORS: Please report solicitors in the neighborhood by calling the Marana Police non-emergency phone number 520.382.2000. Politics and Religion are exempt from soliciting and are allowed in non-soliciting communities.
17. SUNFLOWER CHORALE: Will be caroling in the Sunflower neighborhood on Friday, December 20th from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. If you would like the Chorale to sing in your neighborhood, please contact Suzanne Seville at (520)820-4604.
18. TECH CLUB CELEBRATION: Come to the Tech Club meeting on Wednesday at 10:00 a.m., and meet your new officers for 2020! Yes, we have a full slate of officers. So come celebrate the holidays and the club’s future with light refreshments. We’ll also ask for your input on the club’s programs and priorities. See you there!
19. TOWN OF MARANA: Is working on Sunflower streets. The intersection of Sunflower and Mystic Sky should be completed the 13th and 16th of December.
20. TRAVEL CLUB SALES DESK: Wednesday, December 18th from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Sales for January 17th’s Karchner Caverns/Amerind Museum has been EXTENDED. Don’t miss this opportunity for a great trip! Price: $80. Also on sale is La Cage Aux Folles on February 8th - $105. Two gay drag club owners panic when a son is getting married and the fiancée and her parents come for dinner. Bus leaves at 3:00 p.m. for BARLEENS on December 14th.
21. VILLAGE CENTER HOURS:
Tuesday, December 24th 7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday, December 25th CLOSED
Tuesday, December 31st 7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Wednesday, January 1st CLOSED
22. VINTAGE GARDENERS: Reminder to ticket holders for our December Holiday Brunch, we will be meeting at Firebirds - La Encantada Mall on Monday December 16th at 12:00 p.m.. NO organized carpooling - NO tickets sold at the door. Don’t forget to bring your sock donations for the Women’s Shelter.
23. VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: Spread the word, Sunflower is in dire need of 2-3 volunteers to help in webcasting the board meetings. Webcasting makes it possible for all residents in the community to have access to open meetings and, in particular those who are unable to attend. If you are interested please email Ann Marie at firstname.lastname@example.org
24. WREATHS ACROSS AMERICA: December 14th is Wreaths Across America in coordination with Arizona Veterans’ Memorial Cemetery. Residents can purchase wreaths by going to www.wreathsacrossamerica.org/az0009p, then scroll down to "Sponsor Wreaths". They can purchase a wreath for a veteran and, if they would like, come out to the cemetery on the 14th at 10:00 a.m. and lay the wreath on a veteran’s grave.
25. 2019 NEW HOMEOWNERS: Please mark your calendars for a New Resident Welcome Party, Saturday, February 29, 2020 (not February 8th) 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. in the Fiesta Room. A formal invitation will follow later in the month.
Articles for the Communicator should be sent to:
Ann.Marie@fsresidential.com by Thursday 10:00 a.m.
Please submit your article of 75 characters or fewer via email.
Please do not send a pdf attachment.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2019 Sunflower Community Association