* * * DO NOT REPLY TO
THIS EMAIL * * *
Trouble viewing this email? Read the newsletter on the web (available within 24 hours).
The Sunflower Communicator
||August 3, 2018||
||Volume 8, Number 34|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admin Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 p.m.
Current Number of Subscribers: 813
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. AD HOC/CIF COMMITTEE: Our Sunflower Board of Directors has authorized an ADHOC Committee to gather advise on a CIF (Community improvement Fund) Project.The new Committee Members are: Charles Ingalls- Chair, Barbara Bernardi-Secretary, Shirley Bailey, Rod Boorse, and Jim Smith. Jerry Nugent –Liasion. This committee is asking for ideas from Sunflower Residents. Please submit your suggestions to the front desk in writing, marked ADHOC-CIF Suggestions. These may also be handed directly to one of the Committee members. We would like to have the project decided on by October, 2018.The next open meeting will be August 16th, 2018 at 10:00 a.m. on the patio.
2. BOARD OF DIRECTORS: Board Candidates Needed
If you would like to be more involved in your Community and its future, consider completing a Sunflower Board candidate application. You can either go to sunflowerliving.com website and print one off or one can be picked up at the Village Center Desk. Once completed, you can either email it, along with a written statement about you and your experiences (up to 250 words), to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop both off at the Village Center Desk. This information must be received by August 10th at 5:00 p.m.
There are three Board members (Christine Schaefer, Jerry Nugent, and Fred Zimmerman) whose Board terms are ending. In order to have a 7-member Board, at least 4 applications are needed; for a 5-member Board, at least 2 applications are needed.
It’s time for you to make a difference so please consider becoming a Board candidate. Sunflower needs you!!!
3. LADIES LUNCHEON: Wednesday, August 8 at 11:30 am. Wild Garlic Grill, 2870 E. Skyline Drive, Plaza Colonial, #120. You will order from the menu. Sign up at the Front desk by 12:00 pm. Saturday, August 4th.
4. LANDSCAPERS: The Landscapers ask that you avoid the piles of vegetation, branches, grass. etc. that may be stacked up in the parking areas. Most particularly, please do not park on top of these piles. The Landscapers are trying to not have piles in the parking spaces but sometimes in blowing or raking into larger piles, there may be a small pile in the way and if a car pulls in on top of that, it can be difficult to pick up the pile. Also, please use caution and slow down as you go around Landscaping vehicles and/or trailers. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.
5. ROMEO 2 BREAKFAST NEWS AND SCHEDULE: The Retired Old Men Eating Out-2 Breakfast Group gathers on the fourth Tuesday of the month for a 9 AM breakfast. Here is the schedule for the next four months. Because the Christmas Day is the fourth Tuesday, we will probably skip December.
August 28th Crying Onion at Orange Grove and Thornydale
September 25th Cafe Ole Mexican Grill at Orange Grove and LaCholla
October 23rd Old Time Cafe 1485 W Prince Rd.
November 27th Sky Rider Cafe at the Marana Airport
See the Sun Catcher for carpool times and other details
6.ROMEO LUNCH NEWS AND SCHEDULE: The Retired Old Men Eating group has lunch at 11:45 AM alternating between Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the second week of each month. Here is the schedule for the remainder of 2018:
8/9 Wednesday, Broasted Chicken at Queen Donuts on Western Ave;
9/11 Tuesday at Red Lobster at River & Oracle;
10/10 Wednesday at Pappoule's at Foothills Mall;
11/13 Tuesday at BJ's Grill on Oracle and
12/12 Wednesday at Cattletown on Drexel.
Please sign up at the Village Center by noon of the day prior to lunch. See the Sun Catcher for carpooling times and other details.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS: On August 25th we will be having a Pizza and BINGO night. Please note that this is NOT on our usual third Saturday of the month. As usual, Social Time is 5:30 p.m. with Pizza served at 6:00 p.m. You’ll have your choice of Veggie or Pepperoni pizza. When you buy your ticket you will be asked to choose which kind you want. There will be cash prizes for BINGO. The price for this event is $10. Our next ticket sales date is Thursday, August 16th from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. This is for Members Only – dues are $5.
8.TRAVEL CLUB: Would the person that left an envelope at the Center marked for Suzanne please give Fran Gauthier a call at 572-2167. We don’t know who left it.Barbara Geldermand is looking for a roommate for the Cottonwood/Sedona trip in February. If you would consider sharing a room with her please call Barbara at 912-4759. Our next Sales Desk will be on Saturday, August 11th from 8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. We will continue selling tickets for Old Tucson Studios, An American in Paris, and the Cottonwood/Sedona trip.We will start selling tickets for another trip that we’re excited about. On Sunday, December 2nd, we’ll be going to the Silver Star Theatre in Mesa for the Rhythm Cats Christmas Show. The show will include holiday favorites (secular & non-secular) mixed in with some non-holiday crowd pleasers.There will be a lunch buffet with four entrée items (chicken, pork, ribs and pot roast), sides, salads and dessert. The price of $65 pp includes the buffet, the two hour musical and comedy show, transportation and gratuities. OUT OF TOWNERS ONLY: Please send check to Fran Gauthier, 8026 W Wandering Spring Way, 85743 – phone: 520-572-2167. Please include your $5 Membership Dues.
9. VETERANS CLUB: The Veterans Club supports the DAV and their Veterans Stand Down is August 15th at the Grand Luxe Hotel located on 1365 W Grant Road. They are looking for donations of soap, shampoo, toothpaste, slightly used clothing, etc. for the homeless veteran community.
They can take their donations to the DAV office on Ina Road behind the Bisbee Breakfast Club.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association