The Sunflower Communicator
|June 28, 2018||Volume 8, Number 27|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 p.m.
Current Number of Subscribers: 805
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. CLUBHOUSE SECURITY SYSTEM: The Sunflower Board of Directors has been in the process of having a new security system installed for our clubhouse. During Board meetings, we told you this should be accomplished by the end of June. I regret to inform you this timeline will not be met, due to vendors who promised to deliver, and did not. We continue to work with different vendors, but we had to start over, to accomplish this task. Thank you for your patience. Gary Park-President
2. FITNESS CLUB: The Fitness Club does not mind sharing our pool exercise equipment with non-class members but we ask that you put it away neatly when you are finished. We have had the bar-bells and noodles left out overnight and blowing around on the pool deck. We do not want to have the equipment broken or lost. Thank you for your help and understanding.
3. GENEALOGY CLUB: Correction: The topic of the presentation for July’s Genealogy Club is incorrect in the Suncatcher. The topic is "Overlooked Federal Records and Repositories.” (a) Types of federal records you might find outside of the National Archives. (b) How to research the Works Progress Administration. (c) Other searchable repositories and archives. The meeting is Tuesday, July 17 starting at 2:00 p.m. in the Village Center.
4. HELP PLANT POLLINATOR GARDEN: – El Rio Preserve Saturday, July 14, 8:00 ‐11:00 a.m. El Rio Preserve is in Sunflower’s backyard at the intersection of Silverbell and Coachline. Be a part of helping Tucson Audubon Society enhance this new park by installing plants that will attract hummingbirds, butterflies, native bees, bats and other pollinators. Meet at the Ramada at 8:00 a.m. for a quick refresher course on best planting practices for native plants in the desert, and then we’ll get planting. Please sign up at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 520.209.1811
5. LANDSCAPERS AT WORK: Please drive with caution and care especially when landscapers are working in the median and in the streets.
6. LOCKER ROOM: Lockers are for daily use only. Lockers may be used without charge. Padlocks may be placed on lockers while in use but must be removed and the locker cleared after each visit. Overnight use of the lockers is not permitted
7. MESSAGE FROM THE CIF Ad-hoc Committee: Our Sunflower Board of Directors has authorized an Ad-hoc committee to gather advise on a CIF (Community Improvement Fund) project. The new committee members are: Charles Ingalls - Chair, Barbara Bernardi - secretary, Shirley Bailey, Rod Boorse and Jim Smith. Jerry Nugent is the Board liaison. This committee is asking for ideas form Sunflower Residents. Please submit your suggestions at the reception desk in writing, clearly marked CIF - Ad-hoc suggestion. Your suggestion may also be handed directly to one of the committee members. Or you may submit the ideas to ADHOC.email@example.com. We would like to have the project decided on by October, 2018.
8. POOL CLOSURE NOTICE: The pool will be closed all day on July 9th and half day on July 10th. The pool tile and towers will be cleaned.
9. CHRISTMAS IN JULY POTLUCK: Join us Thursday, July 12th, Social 5:30 p.m. - Dinner 6:00 p.m. It's HOT outside, so come to our next potluck for a cool summer dinner. Tickets are $2.00 per person or no charge if you provide a main dish. Ticket sales: Monday, July 2nd 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Thursday, July 5th 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
10.ROMEO 2 Breakfast schedule (always at 9 a.m.)
July 24th Tuesday Grumpy's
August 28th Tuesday Crying Onion
Sign up by noon of the day prior to the lunch or breakfast. Check the Suncatcher articles for car pool times. No dues to pay and separate checks. All of the restaurants are pretasted.
11. ROMEO: Lunch schedule(always at 11:45 a.m.)
August 8th Wednesday Broasted Chicken
12. SINGLES AND FRIENDS: Singles and Friends will be selling tickets for our July 21st “Ice Cream Social” on Thursday, July 12th, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Make your own ice cream sundaes with vanilla ice cream (lactose free available) and toppings of fresh fruit, hot fudge and caramel sauces, whipped cream and sprinkles. We’re also having a fun quiz on geography and history that are given to 14 year olds. Come see how smart you are – you might win a prize! Price for this event is $5.
13. SUNFLOWER VILLAGE CENTER HOURS: The Sunday hours at the Village Center have changed to 11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
14. TRAVEL CLUB: PLEASE NOTE: MAIL IN OPTION FOR OUR TRIPS IS ONLY FOR OUR WINTER RESIDENTS. YEAR ROUND RESIDENTS MUST COME TO OUR SALES DESKS. WE HAVE NOT CHANGED OUR POLICY.Our first two sales desks will be on Saturday, July 14th from 8:00 a.m to 10:00 a.m. and Saturday, August 11th from 8:00 a.m to 10:00 a.m.Tickets will be available for Old Tucson Studios – Nov 9th at $55 per person. We will also be selling tickets for our Old Town Cottonwood/Sedona trip on February 12th -15th. The couple price is $1,200 with a $250 Down Payment. Single price is $865. Details on the above trips were in last week’s Communicator. Also on sale will be “An American in Paris” at the Arizona Broadway Theatre in Peoria on January 26th from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. We’ve gone there several times before and everyone seemed to enjoy it.Price of $105 includes matinee performance, white linen dining (soup or salad, choice of 4 or 5 entrees – gluten free available, bread basket, tea or coffee), bus transportation and gratuities.WINTER RESIDENTS can mail their checks to Fran Gauthier, 8026 W Wandering Spring Way. Don’t forget your $5 Membership renewal.
15. UPCOMING ELECTION: It's coming up to that time of the year when you will be called upon to volunteer to be a part of the Sunflower Board of Directors. We have 3 Directors who have put in their appreciated time to serve and moving on. So if you like to have any involvement with new ideas and your expertise, this is your chance. The Call for 4 Board Candidates will be necessary to fill the spots and notice will be mailed the week of September 10th, so please think about how you can make a difference. Applications will be be available at the reception desk. Electronic voting and paper ballots will be available starting the week of October 8th, 2018. Our sincere Thanks and Appreciation for the past Board Members for their service.
16. VETERANS CLUB:LAST CHANCE! Sunflower Veterans Club BBQ ticket sales: Friday June 29th between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. $12 gets you two BBQ sandwiches, all the sides and Ice Cream. Help the Veterans Club help other Veterans that have not been as fortunate as all of us.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association