The Sunflower Communicator
|June 21, 2018||Volume 8, Number 26|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
11:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 p.m.
Current Number of Subscribers: 802
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. CLUBHOUSE SECURITY SYSTEM: The Sunflower Board of Directors has been in the process of having a new security system installed for our clubhouse. During Board meetings, we told you this should be accomplished by the end of June. I regret to inform you this timeline will not be met, due to vendors who promised to deliver, and did not. We continue to work with different vendors, but we had to start over, to accomplish this task. Thank you for your patience. Gary Park-President
2. GENEALOGY CLUB: The Genealogy Club is presenting three special DVD specials this summer, July 17 and August 21. We will kick off with the special entitled "Overlooked Federal Records and Repositories.”
• Types of federal records you might find outside of the National Archives
• How to research the Works Progress Administration
• Other searchable repositories and archives
The meeting is Tuesday, June 19 starting at 2 p.m.
3. IRRIGATION BOXES : It has come to our attention that the irrigation box lids are being removed and valves are being tampered with. If you witness something please contact the Village Center.
4. LANDSCAPERS AT WORK: Please drive with caution and care especially when landscapers are working in the median and in the streets.
5. MESSAGE FROM THE CIF Ad-hoc Committee: Our Sunflower Board of Directors has authorized an Ad-hoc committee to gather advise on a CIF (Community Improvement Fund) project. The new committee members are: Charles Ingalls - Chair, Barbara Bernardi - secretary, Shirley Bailey, Rod Boorse and Jim Smith. Jerry Nugent is the Board liaison. This committee is asking for ideas form Sunflower Residents. Please submit your suggestions at the reception desk in writing, clearly marked CIF - Ad-hoc suggestion. Your suggestion may also be handed directly to one of the committee members. Or you may submit the ideas to ADHOC.firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to have the project decided on by October, 2018.
6. POOL PARTY: Hey gang, don't forget the POOL PARTY" Saturday night. Just bring something to snack on, your favorite adult drink,(no
glass, paper cups will be provided) your swimming suit and your party time mood Marty will be playing a great list of "cool" oldies and you can stay "cool" by jumping in the pool. See you all there starting at 5:30 till around 9:00 pm.
7. ROMEOS 2 BREAKFAST: On Tuesday, June 26th at 8:35 A.M. we will carpool from the Village Center to keep our 9 A.M. reservation at Old Time Cafe, one of the groups favorite restaurants. Please sign up at the VC no later than noon on Monday, June 25th so we can tell the restaurant how many places to set. We get separate checks and the conversation should be lively. From prior visits we know the food will be very tasty. Expect large portions. (They do provide boxes for taking home the leftovers.)
8.ROMEO 2 Breakfast schedule (always at 9 a.m.)
June 26th Tuesday Old Times Cafe
July 24th Tuesday Grumpy's
August 28th Tuesday Crying Onion
Sign up by noon of the day prior to the lunch or breakfast. Check the Suncatcher articles for car pool times. No dues to pay and separate checks. All of the restaurants are pretasted.
9. ROMEO: Lunch schedule(always at 11:45 a.m.)
August 8th Wednesday Broasted Chicken
10. SINGLES AND FRIENDS: Single's and Friends will be selling tickets for our July 21st “Ice Cream Social” next Thursday, June 28th, from 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Make your own ice cream sundaes with vanilla ice cream (lactose free available) and toppings of fresh fruit, hot fudge and caramel sauces, whipped cream and sprinkles. We’re also having a fun quiz on geography and history that are given to 14 year olds. Come see how smart you are – you might win a prize! Price for this event is $5.
11. SUNFLOWER VILLAGE CENTER HOURS: Sunday, Village Center hours have been changed. We will now open at 11:00 a.m. and close at 5:00 p.m.
12. TRAVEL CLUB: CHANGE OF PLANS: At our last meeting we decided to have a Sales Desk on July 13th from 8:00 a.m to 10:00 a.m. We will start by selling tickets for two trips that we have planned: A fun day at OLD TUCSON STUDIOS – Friday, November 9th. Bus leaves Sunflower at 9:15 a.m. and we’ll be back by 5:00 p.m. $55 pp includes: Admission, Lunch at Big Jakes BBQ (entrée, 2 sides and soft drink), Transportation and Tips. For our out of towners ….to sign up please mail your checks made payable to SF Travel Club to Jackie Slingland, 7540 W Wandering Coyote Drive, Tucson, AZ 85743. Don’t forget to include your Membership Dues of $5 per person. The other one is a wonderful four day trip on February 12th – 15th to COTTONWOOD/SEDONA that you won’t want to miss. Check next week’s Communicator for details on that trip – not enough room this week.
OLD TOWN COTTONWOOD/SEDONA – February 12 – 15, 2019. Trip was selected for February instead of March or April to avoid higher prices and congestion in Sedona. $1,200 per couple/two singles sharing room with $250 Down Payment. Single occupancy price not determined yet. Price includes three nights lodging at The Tavern Hotel in Cottonwood with a $50 dinner voucher per couple for first night, as well as each person getting three wine tastings, three $5 vouchers toward breakfast and a cocktail. Great activities: Tours or stops at: Cliff Castle Casino, Montezuma Castle, Tuzigoot National Monument, Verde Canyon Railroad (four hour ride in First Class Lounge Car with hearty appetizers), Sedona Trolley City and Scenic Tour, Uptown Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, NACA (Native American for Community Action) shopping venue, Flagstaff and Arizona Copper Art Museum. Dinner is included all three nights, including one at the fun Blazin M Ranch. Lunch is included on the way up and the way back, as well as the “hearty appetizers” on the train on day two. Buy tickets on July 14th from 8 – 10 am or send check payable to SF Travel Club to Suzanne Short, 9582 N Desert Mist Lane, 85743. Include $5 Membership Dues.
13. UPCOMING ELECTION: It's coming up to that time of the year when you will be called upon to volunteer to be a part of the Sunflower Board of Directors. We have 3 Directors who have put in their appreciated time to serve and moving on. So if you like to have any involvement with new ideas and your expertise, this is your chance. The Call for 4 Board Candidates will be necessary to fill the spots and notice will be mailed the week of September 10th, so please think about how you can make a difference. Applications will be be available at the reception desk. Electronic voting and paper ballots will be available starting the week of October 8th, 2018. Our sincere Thanks and Appreciation for the past Board Members for their service.
14. VETERANS CLUB: Veterans Club Fundraiser BBQ ticket sales: Sunday 1-3pm. $12 per ticket. Each ticket gets you two sandwiches. Pulled Pork BBQ or Pulled Beef BBQ or one of each, plus all the sides. Help us do amazing things for local veterans in need.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association