The Sunflower Communicator
|April 6, 2018||Volume 8, Number 15|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 795
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. LAST DANCE OF THE SEASON: Don't miss Dick Smith's Class of '59 Dance on Saturday, April 14th at 6:30pm. They will be playing all the hits that we all can listen and dance to. Come join in on the fun with your friends and neighbors. BYOB. Suggested donation - $5.00. See you there!
2. SILVERWOOD DUO: Please join us in the Fiesta Room on Sunday, April 15th at 2:30pm to 3:30pm for the performance of Silverwood Duo. Renee Bond plays the flute and Paige Jackson plays the guitar. Silverwood Duo brings the rich tradition of classical chamber music to their audiences. Tickets will be sold on Thursday, April 12th from 1:00pm to 3:00pm for $10.00.
3. ROMEOS' PASTY DINNER: Reservations for the Pasty Dinner on Tuesday, April 24th will close on Wednesday, April 18th at noon. The 5pm dinner hosted by Retired Old Men Eating Out Group (ROMEO) in the Fiesta Room is open to all Sunflower residents. The Pasty, a flaky crusted pie, comes in two sizes: 8 and 16 ounces. The dinners are $7 and $10 and include the Pasty, set up, cole slaw and dessert. It is a Bring Your Own Beverage party. Frozen Pasties may be ordered too. A small Pasty is $4 and a large Pasty is $7. (Heating instruction are included). There are four Pasty varieties. The ingredients are with the reservation book at the Village Center. Make you reservation, select the Pasty variety and size; prepay at the Village Center before April 18th. Cash only and exact cash please.
4. DEVICE HELP SESSIONS: This month will be the last month for device help until October. We will be at the Village Center, Sunday, April 8th and Sunday, April 22nd from 2:00 - 3:30pm. If you have a phone or tablet you need help with, we will see you at one of those times. This is open to all residents of Sunflower.
5. VINTAGE GARDENERS MEETING: VG members will have their April 16th meeting at the Reid Park Rose Garden and Gazebo. Terry Swartz, President of the Tucson Rose Society will speak about "Growing Roses in the Desert". Please sign-up for car-pooling and a head count at the Center before April 14th. We will leave Sunflower at 10am so be at the Center by 9:45am. Bring a sandwich and drink for a noon picnic. Chips and dessert will be provided. Bring CLIPPERS too, for dead-heading! Reid Park is a large place so we will want to arrive together and park close to the Gazebo. Directions will be provided. It'll be a great day. Effie Skroch 744-5152
6. ROMEO LUNCH: Any male resident of Sunflower who enjoys good food in generous portions (enough to take home for another meal) is encouraged to sign up before noon on Tuesday, April 10th at the Village Center to be included in the Retired Old Men Eating Out group's lunch at Old Thymes Cafe on Wednesday, April 11th. We will carpool from the VillageGuest Registration. Upon entering the Recreation Center and before using any of the facilities at the Recreation Center, each guest must register at the Membership Desk. The names and ages of all visiting children must also appear in the registration book. Each person should indicate on the registration form the type of activity to be performed on that visit. Center (see Sun Catcher for times). Sign up so we can give the Cafe a count for setting up. We get separate checks and this organization has no dues. Conversations are pretty good too.
7. FITNESS CLUB ANNUAL SPRING MEETING: Tuesday, April 10th at 1:00pGuest Registration. Upon entering the Recreation Center and before using any of the facilities at the Recreation Center, each guest must register at the Membership Desk. The names and ages of all visiting children must also appear in the registration book. Each person should indicate on the registration form the type of activity to be performed on that visit.m is the Annual Spring meeting of the Fitness Club. This meeting will be held in the Fiesta Room and all members are encouraged to attend.
8. SUNFLOWER CHORALE SPRING CONCERT: The Sunflower Chorale, under the direction of Barbara Honn, invites you to its Spring Fling concert on April 19 and 20th. The concert starts at 4:30pm in the Fiesta Room. Audience seating is first-come/first-served and seating is limited. Your past donations have allowed the chorale to purchase music and continue to offer community concerts free of charge. Thank you! Again, as in the past, donations are encouraged and will be accepted at the performance. Mark your calendars and plan to enjoy the musical talents of your Sunflower neighbors!
9. PICKLEBALL NEWS: Congratulations to Billy Lackey and Gaylen Waynar for winning a bronze medal in Men's 4.0 skill level doubles at the Tucson Open. Good going!
10. SUNFLOWER NEIGHBOR: Charlie Mitchell, formerly of 9495 N Twinkling Shadows is now in Brookdale North, an assisted living facility. Charlie will not be coming back to Sunflower. Brookdale's address is 2650W Ina Rd and Charlie is in room 505. He is doing well and improves each day. He sometimes now uses a walker and hopes to be moved to an independent living facility in the future. We all miss seeing Charlie reading the newspaper at the Center in the morning. Charlie is up for visits from his Sunflower friends or drop him a card c/o Brookdale, 2650 W Ina Rd, #505, Tucson, AZ 85741.
11. TRAVEL CLUB: For those going on the Sonita Wine Tour on Thursday, April 12th, the bus will leave Sunflower at 8:30 a.m. and we should be back by 5:30p.m.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association