The Sunflower Communicator
|March 23, 2018||Volume 8, Number 13|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 793
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. RESERVE FUNDING WORKSHOP PRESENTED BY JERRY NUGENT:
Wednesday, March 28th at 10:00am in the Fiesta Room.Many people would be surprised at how different our accounting is because we have a Reserve Fund. Did you know that when Sunflower buys buildings and equipment, the money disappears from our Balance Sheet? Even if you have not laid awake at night wondering about this, you may learn a lot from this workshop. The workshop is aimed at the Sunflower Board, PRAC and Finance Committee, but any resident is invited to come. You will learn the mysteries of invisible assets, the rise of obligations and the odd effect of spending reserve money. It is actually even more interesting than it sounds. Coffee and treats will be served.
2. MUSIC UNDER THE STARS: Rock to the classics from Desert Knights at Music Under the Stars on Saturday, March 24, 2018 from 5:30-8:30pm. Bring your chairs, your snacks and your beverages (adult or otherwise)as well as your dancing shoes to the lawn at the back of the Community Center. You may also want to come a little early and have supper and/or ice cream from The Station at the grill to benefit the Fitness Club. Enjoy the music and the weather and sharing the fun with friends and neighbors of Sunflower.
3. 2018 FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS FESTIVAL: Great News! The 18th annual Fine Arts and Crafts Festival is scheduled this year and will be held on November 2nd and 3rd. The application will be available March 1, 2018 at the front desk and online. Good News! You will be able to fill out the application online and then print it. To print and fill out the online application you will need to goto www.sufnlwoerliving. com, resident information, scroll down to forms and click Fine Arts and Crafts Festival for the application. We will do our best to place you in the location you request, however we cannot hold your spot from the previous year assuming you'll be participating this year, that's why it's a good idea to get your application in early. We are encouraging any new artists and crafters to join us this year. It's really a lot of fun! *Please note that your checks need to be made out to Linda Jordan. If you have any questions, you can call Linda Jordan, Committee chair at 520-572-1705.
4. FITNESS CLUB AND MUSIC UNDER THE STARS: The Station will be providing dinner at Music Under the Stars on March 24. Due to the overwhelming success at the fall event, we will begin serving at 5:00 with the music beginning at 5:30. Menu items include: hamburgers, cheeseburgers, hot dog, chips and a drink for $7.00 and ice cream sundaes, root beer floats for $5.00. Thank you for supporting the Fitness Club.
5. APRIL POTLUCK: Tickets for the "C & C" April 12th potluck will go on sale Monday, March 26th, 1-3 PM and Wednesday, April 5th from 10-12 AM. "C & C" will feature Chili and Chicken.Don't like Chili, come on down we will have something for everybody. For further information, contact Sharyn Fincher, 520-665-8830.
6. ROMEO PASTY DINNER PARTY - OPEN TO ALL SUNFLOWER RESIDENTS: Everybody is Welcome to Attend a Pasty Dinner Party, Tuesday, April 24th at 5 PM in the Fiesta Room Hosted by the ROMEO Group.
There are four varieties in two sizes of this flaky crust pie: Traditional, Beef, Vegetarian or Chicken. The ingredients in each variety is available with the registration sheet at the Village Center.
A small pasty dinner includes: (approx. 8 ounce) Pasty, Cole Slaw, dessert and service items for $7
A large pasty dinner includes (approx. 16 ounce) Pasty, Cole Slaw, dessert and service items for $10.
Choose the variety and size dinner at the Village Center and prepay before April 18th unless sold out prior.Frozen Pasties can be ordered too, small are $4 and large are $7. This is a 'bring your own beverage' party. Please have exact cash. Thank you.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS SPRING FLING: Our April 21st event will be “Spring Fling”. We will have a Ham dinner with one of the sides being Macaroni and Cheese – mentioning this for those who don’t eat pork. Our entertainment for the night will be “The Latest Traditions” trio consisting of two Appalachian Mountain dulcimers and a guitar. Tickets are $10. Membership required – you can join for $5. Tickets will be on sale next Tuesday, March 27th, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.
8. CASINO TRIP: Our spring casino trip is coming!!!! We are planning our trip for April 9TH. We will be going to Casino del Sol. Most of you probably know this is a local casino, so it will take less time to get there. However, they do not fund a bus. The cost for this trip is $10. The comps they are offering are $10 in free slot play and $16 in a food voucher. The voucher can be used in any of their food locations. We will depart from Sunflower at 9:30 in the morning and leave the casino at 2:30. We will not be signing up at the desk in the usual manner. We will be selling tickets for this trip on March 24 from 10 to 12. We will also sell on April 3, if needed. We cannot accept checks ---cash only-- please bring $10 bills, if possible. THANKS! If we do not get enough people to fund the bus we will cancel and your money will be refunded. If we are going, and you cannot attend, you need to find your own substitute. We won't be able to refund the money because we'll be paying for the bus with that money. Last time we went there, it wasn't a problem. We expect that we will have enough folks!
9. VILLAGE CENTER EASTER SUNDAY HOURS: The Village Center will be open from 9:00am to 2:00pm on Easter Sunday, April 1, 2018.
10. PICKLEBALL NEWS: Gaylen Waynar and Billy Lackey teamed up to win silver medals in Men's Doubles in the 4.0 skill/60+ division and Bernadette Bruner won a bronze medal in Women's Doubles in the 4.0 skill/70+ at the Super Senior International Pickleball Tournament at El Mirage, AZ. Good going! Congrats!
11. TELEPHONE SCAM: Please be aware of a telephone scam circulating. A person is calling stating to be your grandchild and is in jail and needs your assistance. Never provide the caller with any information, like your grandchild's name. According to Marana Police Department as long as you are not a victim, there has been no crime committed. If the voice on the other end doesn't sound like your grandchild, disconnect the call and then call your grandchild.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association