The Sunflower Communicator
|March 9, 2018||Volume 8, Number 11|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 790
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. FITNESS CENTER CLOSURE: The Fitness Center will be closed on Friday, March 9th from 8:00am till noon so the occupancy sensors that control the overhead lights can be tested and replaced. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
2. 2ND ANNUAL CLUB & AFFINITY GROUP EXPO: Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 10 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm and stop by the Village Center to learn all about the various clubs and affinity groups here at Sunflower. Thirty‐eight (38) groups will be participating to show and explain what they do and why they do it.
Who: All Sunflower Residents
What: 2nd Annual Club & Affinity Group Expo
Where: Sunflower Village Center
When: Saturday, March 10 from 1‐3 PM
Why: Because we like you and want you to enjoy Sunflower’s many amenities.
3. 2018 FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS FESTIVAL: Great News! The 18th annual Fine Arts and Crafts Festival is scheduled this year and will be held on November 2nd and 3rd. The application will be available March 1, 2018 at the front desk and online. Good News! You will be able to fill out the application online and then print it. To print and fill out the online application you will need to goto www.sufnlwoerliving. com, resident information, scroll down to forms and click Fine Arts and Crafts Festival for the application. We will do our best to place you in the location you request, however we cannot hold your spot from the previous year assuming you'll be participating this year, that's why it's a good idea to get your application in early. We are encouraging any new artists and crafters to join us this year. It's really a lot of fun! *Please note that your checks need to be made out to Linda Jordan. If you have any questions, you can call Linda Jordan, Committee chair at 520-572-1705.
4. CERTS - PREPARING FOR THE UNEXPECTED: HOW TO MAKE A GRAB & GO BAG: You’re invited to the Community Emergency Response Team Presentation by Carol Greco at 6pm on Thursday, March 15 at the community center. Come and learn how to make up your own individualized Grab & Go Bag, so you are ready if you need to evacuate your home due to an emergency. We will discuss what items are essential to include as well as comfort items to take you through 72 hours after an emergency. Learn how to prepare a bag for your pet, how to gather important papers in a binder, and items to have in your vehicle.
5. 4TH ANNUAL NORTHWEST PARTY: Time again for everyone with roots in Alaska, Washington, Oregon or Idaho to meet up for food and interesting conversation. Hopefully you will be wearing your teams colors.
Please bring something to share and your own beverages. We will supply glasses, plates, napkins, utensils and ice. This will be in the Fiesta Room at 4:30pm on Wednesday, March 14th.
6.MEN OF SUNFLOWER: You are cordially invited to lunch with the Retired Old Men Eating Out group on Wednesday, March 14th. We will carpool from the Village Center at 11:15 to keep our 11:45 reservation at RAGAZZI at 7850 N Oracle (Oracle & Magee). Just sign up at the Center by Noon on Tuesday. You are invited, but there is one catch--we each get our own check to pay. Good food and interesting conversation (the food is pre-tasted, the conversation is not). You might want to join us for breakfast too on Tuesday, March 27th, when we 'dine' at the SKY RIDER CAFE at the Marana Airport. Breakfast and/or lunch, all Sunflower men are welcome, and their male guests too.
7. ROMEO PASTY DINNER PARTY - OPEN TO ALL SUNFLOWER RESIDENTS: Last May the group had a Pasty Picnic for men only. This time we are having a dinner in the Fiesta Room at 5PM on Tuesday, April 24th that is open to everyone. Reservations will close on April 18th unless sold out sooner.Pasties are a flaky crusted pie that last year's attendees really enjoyed. There will be four varieties and two sizes available. Dinner includes the pasty, service items and dessert. It is a bring your own beverage party. See the March Suncatcher for the ingredients in each Pasty variety. Choose the variety and size you want and prepay at the Village Center. Large dinner is $10 and small is $7. You may also pre-order frozen pasties to take home. Exact cash please.
8. DOUG, SLY AND WASHBOARD MARGE: On Saturday, March 24th, Doug, Sly and Washboard Marge will perform in the Fiesta Room at
2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Tickets for the performance will be sold on Wednesday, March 14th, from 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and again on Wednesday, March 21st, from 1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m. for $10.00. They perform bluegrass and familiar music from the good old days with panache and humor. Come and join us for a fun afternoon!
9. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
10. DECREASE PAIN AND DISEASE SYMPTOMS WITH FOOD AND SUPPLEMENTATION: Monday, March 12th from 10 to 11:30am in the Fiesta Room. Free talk to be given by Jean Read, PT, a Sunflower resident. Jean will explain how certain foods cause more inflammation and others calm the inflammation. When inflammation is decreased throughout the body, there is less pain and less disease symptoms. She will explain how to choose a supplement. Which supplements are most beneficial for helping the body to heal, repair and restore the body to a place of wellness.
11. TRAVEL CLUB: For those who purchased tickets for the March 10th AZ Roadrunners Hockey game please note that it is at the Arena at the Tucson Convention Center. Parking is available at Lot A or Lot C. Be sure to take warm clothing!!
12. CASINO TRIP: Our spring casino trip is coming!!!! We are planning our trip for April 9TH. We will be going to Casino del Sol. Most of you probably know this is a local casino, so it will take less time to get there. However, they do not fund a bus. The cost for this trip is $10. The comps they are offering are $10 in free slot play and $16 in a food voucher. The voucher can be used in any of their food locations. We will depart from Sunflower at 9:30 in the morning and leave the casino at 2:30. We will not be signing up at the desk in the usual manner. We will be selling tickets for this trip on March 10 from 9 to 11 a.m. and on March 13 and March 24 from 10 to 12. We will also sell on April 3, if needed. We cannot accept checks ---cash only-- please bring $10 bills, if possible. THANKS!
If we do not get enough people to fund the bus we will cancel and your money will be refunded. If we are going, and you cannot attend, you need to find your own substitute. We won't be able to refund the money because we'll be paying for the bus with that money. Last time we went there, it wasn't a problem. We expect that we will have enough folks!
13. PICKLEBALL NEWS: Gaylen Waynar won a silver medal in the Mixed Doubles 4.0 skill/65+ age group and Bernadette Bruner won a bronze medal in the Women's Doubles 4.0 skill/70+ age group in the Duel in the Desert Pickleball Tournament. Ralph Perillo and Mike Baldwin won bronze medals in the Men's Doubles 3.0 skill/70+ age group and Gaylen Waynar won a silver medal in Mixed Doubles 4.0 skill/65+ age group in the Southern Arizona Senior Pickleball Games in Green Valley. Congratulations! Well deserved honors!
14. SUNFLOWER GENEALOGY SOCIETY: At the March 20th meeting master preservationist, Paulette Weiser, will present “Archiving Practices,” where she will explain the most effective ways to preserve and store all those family treasures and the dos and don'ts of storage and display. The meeting is Tuesday, March 20 at 2 p.m. in the Fiesta Room. All Sunflower residents are invited to join our club. And don’t forget to take advantage of our Monday mentoring sessions from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association