The Sunflower Communicator
|March 2, 2018||Volume 8, Number 10|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 789
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. VINTAGE GARDENERS - HOW YOU SEE IT: Sunday, March 18th from 5:30 - 7:30pm. This much anticipated Art and Floral Design Event sponsored by Vintage Gardeners will be selling tickets ($12.00) on Saturday, March 3rd from 8-10am. For the price of a ticket you will enjoy: wine, taste tempting appetizers and creative art and floral arrangements. In addition at this event you may enter into a drawing for a fantastic door prize which will be a photo portrait of either a person or your pet. You do need to be present to win. Hope to see you On Saturday, 3/8/18 with your check or money in hand - as there are a limited number of tickets. Elaine Marros
2. 2ND ANNUAL CLUB & AFFINITY GROUP EXPO: Mark your calendars for Saturday, March 10 from 1:00 – 3:00 pm and stop by the Village Center to learn all about the various clubs and affinity groups here at Sunflower. Thirty‐eight (38) groups will be participating to show and explain what they do and why they do it.
Who: All Sunflower Residents
What: 2nd Annual Club & Affinity Group Expo
Where: Sunflower Village Center
When: Saturday, March 10 from 1‐3 PM
Why: Because we like you and want you to enjoy Sunflower’s many amenities.
3. 2018 FINE ARTS AND CRAFTS FESTIVAL: Great News! The 18th annual Fine Arts and Crafts Festival is scheduled this year and will be held on November 2nd and 3rd. The application will be available March 1, 2018 at the front desk and online. Good News! You will be able to fill out the application online and then print it. To print and fill out the online application you will need to goto www.sufnlwoerliving. com, resident information, scroll down to forms and click Fine Arts and Crafts Festival for the application. We will do our best to place you in the location you request, however we cannot hold your spot from the previous year assuming you'll be participating this year, that's why it's a good idea to get your application in early. We are encouraging any new artists and crafters to join us this year. It's really a lot of fun! *Please note that your checks need to be made out to Linda Jordan. If you have any questions, you can call Linda Jordan, Committee chair at 520-572-1705.
4. COME CELEBRATE ILLINOIS 200TH BIRTHDAY!!! SAVE THE DATE! Sunday, March 4, 2018 for the ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION. Come and take part in our 200th Birthday Party and enjoy this special Illinois Day. We have invited a special mystery guest to join us. It will take place in the Fiesta Room from 1-3pm. Bring a dish to share…anyone have an Illinois specialty?” We will have a 200th Birthday cake to celebrate the occasion. Join your neighbors and friends for a special celebration. Bring your memories of Illinois and share them. Any questions email Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. 4TH ANNUAL NORTHWEST PARTY: Time again for everyone with roots in Alaska, Washington, Oregon or Idaho to meet up for food and interesting conversation. Hopefully you will be wearing your teams colors.
Please bring something to share and your own beverages. We will supply glasses, plates, napkins, utensils and ice. This will be in the Fiesta Room at 4:30pm on Wednesday, March 14th.
6. WEARING OF THE GREEN POTLUCK: There are a few tickets left for the March 8th potluck, the WEARING OF THE GREEN. We have 14 tables with one chair left at table 13 and 4 at table 14. Contact Marcia Johnson, 520-395-8265.
7. ROMEO PASTY DINNER: ROMEO hosted Pasty Dinner on Tuesday, April 24th is Open to All!! Reservations are open and will be until April 18th unless sold out prior. Pasties will be available in four varieties and two sizes. A small Pasty Dinner is $7 (about an 8 ounce Pasty) and a large Pasty Dinner is $10 (about a 16 ounce Pasty). Pick the size and variety of Pasty and prepay at the Village Center. Ingredients of each variety available and will appear in the March Sun Catcher. You can also order and pay for Frozen Pasties to enjoy at home. This is a Bring Your Own Beverage dinner, we'll provide the rest.
8. SINGLES AND FRIENDS: We will be selling tickets on Tuesday, March 6th, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m., if tickets are still available, for our March 17th event. The theme is “Tonight everyone is Irish” and we will have a Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner followed by some young dancers from the Maguire Academy of Irish Dance. Social time is 5:30 with dinner at 6:00. The price is $10 for the event. Call Fran Gauthier @ 572-2167 for availability or questions.
9. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
10. MARCH 10TH DANCE: Saturday, March 10th, DANCE with Dick Smith's Band. Time - 6:30 to 8:30pm.
11. TRAVEL CLUB SALES DESK: Our Sales Desk will be next Wednesday, March 7th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. This will be the last time to buy the few tickets remaining for the Saturday, March 10th 7:05 p.m. game of the AZ Roadrunners Hockey team at $24 pp. The reserved seats in Section 202 – Rows H-L are center seating and handicap accessible. This event is open to All Sunflower Residents – no Travel Club membership required. We will all sit together so this would be a good time to enjoy a game with fellow Sunflower residents. Please note that there is no transportation provided. There are still two tickets left for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour at $100 per person. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required. Call Tim Murphy at 797-4954 with any questions. Our semi-annual Members Meeting will be on Tuesday, April 17th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. A light dinner will be served. This is for members only with a nominal sign up fee of $1. Please sign up at our Sales Desk on March 7th. Sign up is required so we will know how many to plan for. We need your input for our next season so please come.
12. SUNFLOWER VETERANS CLUB: The Sunflower Veterans' Club will be selling embroidered Sunflower Logo items at the center Sunday, March 4th from 1:00 to 3:00pm. Sample shirts are available for try-on to insure correct sizes and REMEMBER you may bring in your own favorite clothing items to be embroidered with the logo at a very attractive price. Show your community spirit by wearing the logo! If you are unable to be at this "showing" leave your name at the front desk and you will be contacted. This is NOT a fundraiser but rather a service of the Vet's Club for your wonderful support of our charities.
13. WALKING TOUR OF SUNFLOWER NEIGHBORHOOD'S ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES: Sherry Gartner will be leading a walking tour of nearby native peoples archaeological sites on Saturday, March 3 as a follow-up to her early February presentation on "The Fascinating History of the Sunflower Neighborhood." Residents interested in participating are asked to meet in the Sunflower Community Center parking lot at 9:30am to carpool to the two locations. Walking to each site is about three blocks to and from parking, so each person must determine if they are mobile enough to make the walks. You may want to bring binoculars to view petroglyphs higher on the hillside at the second site. The second site at the recently developed El Rio Preserve on Coachline Drive has a sign with information about the sites, including an aerial view, if anyone does not wish to walk to them. Dress in layers as the weather will probably be cool and warming up. The tour will take about one and a half hours. Come and enjoy this personal guided tour and view of the history around us!
14. SUNFLOWER GENEALOGY SOCIETY: At the March 20th meeting master preservationist, Paulette Weiser, will present “Archiving Practices,” where she will explain the most effective ways to preserve and store all those family treasures and the dos and don'ts of storage and display. The meeting is Tuesday, March 20 at 2 p.m. in the Fiesta Room. All Sunflower residents are invited to join our club. And don’t forget to take advantage of our Monday mentoring sessions from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
15. FITNESS CENTER CLOSURE: The Fitness Center will be closed on Friday, March 9th from 8:00am till noon so the occupancy sensors that control the overhead lights can be tested and replaced. Thank you for your cooperation and patience.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association