The Sunflower Communicator
|February 23, 2018||Volume 8, Number 9|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 786
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. VINTAGE GARDENERS - HOW YOU SEE IT: Sunday, March 18th from 5:30 - 7:30pm. This much anticipated Art and Floral Design Event sponsored by Vintage Gardeners will be selling tickets ($12.00) on Saturday, March 3rd from 8-10am. For the price of a ticket you will enjoy: wine, taste tempting appetizers and creative art and floral arrangements. In addition at this event you may enter into a drawing for a fantastic door prize which will be a photo portrait of either a person or your pet. You do need to be present to win. Hope to see you On Saturday, 3/8/18 with your check or money in hand - as there are a limited number of tickets. Elaine Marros
2. CULINARY CLUB MEETING: You won't want to miss the February meeting of the Culinary Club. Our theme for the day will be
C H O C H O L A T E (as it is used as an ingredient in dishes that range from soup to nuts). Each person attending is asked to bring enough of a theme-related dish to share a two-bite sample with 6-8 others. Please also bring a serving utensil. If possible, please bring copies of your recipe to share. During the meeting you may share something about your dish, such as serving suggestions, the time involved in preparing it and any hints and tips you have discovered. In addition to your dish and serving utensil, please also bring your own beverage. The club will furnish ice water, snack-size plates, cold-beverage cups, napkins and forks.
If you have not yet joined and would like to, dues through September of 2018 are only $1. We will be talking about future program ideas, possible speakers, field trips we might want to take as well as exploring opportunities to collaborate with other Sunflower Clubs.
3. ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION: SAVE THE DATE! Sunday, March 4, 2018 for the ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION. Come and take part in our 200th Birthday Party and enjoy this special Illinois Day. We have invited a special mystery guest to join us. It will take place in the Fiesta Room from 1-3pm. Bring an "Illinois dish," if possible, and join your friends for a special celebration. Bring your memories of Illinois and share them with your friends. Any questions, email Jim at email@example.com.
4. 4TH ANNUAL NORTHWEST PARTY: Time again for everyone with roots in Alaska, Washington, Oregon or Idaho to meet up for food and interesting conversation. Hopefully you will be wearing your teams colors.
Please bring something to share and your own beverages. We will supply glasses, plates, napkins, utensils and ice. This will be in the Fiesta Room at 4:30pm on Wednesday, March 14th.
5. WEARING OF THE GREEN POTLUCK: will be held Thursday, March 8, 2018. The Social Hour will be at 5:30pm with dinner at 6:00pm. Tickets will be on sale 10:00am to 12:00 noon on Monday, February 26th and Wednesday, February 28th. For additional information, call Marcia Johnson.
6. ROMEO PASTY DINNER: ROMEO hosted Pasty Dinner on Tuesday, April 24th is Open to All!! Reservations are open and will be until April 18th unless sold out prior. Pasties will be available in four varieties and two sizes. A small Pasty Dinner is $7 (about an 8 ounce Pasty) and a large Pasty Dinner is $10 (about a 16 ounce Pasty). Pick the size and variety of Pasty and prepay at the Village Center. Ingredients of each variety available and will appear in the March Sun Catcher. You can also order and pay for Frozen Pasties to enjoy at home. This is a Bring Your Own Beverage dinner, we'll provide the rest.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS: Singles and Friends will be selling tickets on Monday, February 26th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. and on Thursday, March 1st from 10:00a.m. to Noon for our March 17th event. The theme is "Tonight everyone is Irish" and we will have a Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner followed by some young dancers from the Maguire Academy of Irish Dance. Social time is 5:30 with dinner at 6:00. The price is $10 for the event.
8. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: February 25 and March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
9. ROMEOS BREAKFAST: On Tuesday, February 27th, the ROMEOs will carpool from the Village Center at 8:40 AM to meet our 9:00 AM breakfast reservations at Cafe Ole Mexican Grill at Orange Grove and La Cholla Beside Mexican favorites they have a full American breakfast. So we can give the Grill a count for set up, please sign up at the Village Center by noon, Monday, February 26th. No dues to pay and we get separate checks.
10. TRAVEL CLUB SALES DESK: Our next Sales Desk will be Wednesday, March 7th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. This will be the last time to buy the few tickets remaining for the Saturday, March 10th 7:05 p.m. game of the AZ Roadrunners Hockey team at $24 pp. The reserved seats in Section 202 – Rows H-L are center seating and handicap accessible. This event is open to All Sunflower Residents – no Travel Club membership required. We will all sit together so this would be a good time to enjoy a game with fellow Sunflower residents. Please note that there is no transportation provided. There are still two tickets left for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour at $100 per person. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required. Call Tim Murphy at 797-4954 with any questions. Our semi-annual Members Meeting will be on Tuesday, April 17th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. A light dinner will be served. This is for members only with a nominal sign up fee of $1. You may sign up at our Sales Desk on March 7th. Sign up is required so we will know how many to plan for. We need your input for our next season so please come.
11. TOPS (TAKE OFF POUNDS SENSIBLY): Weekly meeting has moved to Monday mornings, 8:15-9:30am in the Craft Room. Support for healthy lifestyle and good nutrition choices. No fancy diets, no gimmicks. Education and encouragement.
12. SPORTS PAGE MISSING: Apparently from the number of comments received this week, the Score Board page of the Sports section in the Arizona Daily Star is in great demand; the only problem is that it keeps disappearing from the Sports section. On Tuesday, the entire back page was removed and on Wednesday, the middle pages of the Sports section were removed. The paper is for all residents as the paper subscription is paid out of your assessments. Please read the Sports section and do not remove the Score Board page - someone else wants to read the exact same stats and that has been taken away from them. If you need a copy of the sports stats, the Resident Service Coordinators will make you a copy for a small fee.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association