The Sunflower Communicator
|February 16, 2018||Volume 8, Number 8|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 784
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. EDNA & ELY: The Activities Committee presents Edna & Ely in the Fiesta room this Sunday, Feb. 18th at 2:30pm. You don't want to miss this. We'll sell a few tickets at the door. $10.00.
2. CULINARY CLUB MEETING: You won't want to miss the February meeting of the Culinary Club. Our theme for the day will be
C H O C H O L A T E (as it is used as an ingredient in dishes that range from soup to nuts). Each person attending is asked to bring enough of a theme-related dish to share a two-bite sample with 6-8 others. Please also bring a serving utensil. If possible, please bring copies of your recipe to share. During the meeting you may share something about your dish, such as serving suggestions, the time involved in preparing it and any hints and tips you have discovered. In addition to your dish and serving utensil, please also bring your own beverage. The club will furnish ice water, snack-size plates, cold-beverage cups, napkins and forks.
If you have not yet joined and would like to, dues through September of 2018 are only $1. We will be talking about future program ideas, possible speakers, field trips we might want to take as well as exploring opportunities to collaborate with other Sunflower Clubs.
3. ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION: SAVE THE DATE! Sunday, March 4, 2018 for the ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION. Come and take part in our 200th Birthday Party and enjoy this special Illinois Day. We have invited a special mystery guest to join us. It will take place in the Fiesta Room from 1-3pm. Bring an "Illinois dish," if possible, and join your friends for a special celebration. Bring your memories of Illinois and share them with your friends. Any questions, email Jim at firstname.lastname@example.org.
4. 4TH ANNUAL NORTHWEST PARTY: Time again for everyone with roots in Alaska, Washington, Oregon or Idaho to meet up for food and interesting conversation. Hopefully you will be wearing your teams colors.
Please bring something to share and your own beverages. We will supply glasses, plates, napkins, utensils and ice. This will be in the Fiesta Room at 4:30pm on Wednesday, March 14th.
5. WEARING OF THE GREEN POTLUCK: will be held Thursday, March 8, 2018. The Social Hour will be at 5:30pm with dinner at 6:00pm. Tickets will be on sale 10:00am to 12:00 noon on Monday, February 26th and Wednesday, February 28th. For additional information, call Marcia Johnson.
6. TUESDAY KARAOKE LAUGH FEST: We had a Blast with Sing-Alongs with a real lively Audience last month. Vary your weeknight routine and come on out to the Center for Fun & Laughs. Singers and Table Singers are all welcome. Join Host Louie for Karaoke this Tuesday evening , Feb 20th at 6:30pm.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS FEBRUARY ARIZONA TALES: Our February 17th event will be "Arizona Tales. We will have a chicken dinner catered from Cracker Barrel followed by ladies from the Arizona Historical Society portraying two early Arizona women. Larceny Pennington was kidnapped by the Apaches in 1860 and her daughter, Mary Ann Page, married the “Best Catch” in Tucson but found out that he wasn’t such a good catch after all. Social time is 5:30 with dinner at 6:00. The price is $10 for the event and $5 for the annual dues if you haven't already paid them. Ticket sales will be Tuesday, January 30th from 10:00 to Noon and Thursday, February 1st from 1:00 to 3:00p.m. Please note that you don't have to be single to join. We have several married couples.
8. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: February 25 and March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
9. TRAVEL CLUB: Our next Sales Desk will be Wednesday, February 21st, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. We still have some tickets for the Saturday, March 10th 7:05 p.m. game of the AZ Roadrunners Hockey team at $24 pp. The reserved seats in Section 202 – Rows H-L are center seating and handicap accessible. This event is open to All Sunflower Residents – no Travel Club membership required. We will all sit together so this would be a good time to enjoy a game with fellow Sunflower residents. Please note that there is no transportation provided. There are still two tickets left for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour at $100 per person. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required. Call Tim Murphy at 797-4954 with any questions. Our semi-annual Members Meeting will be on Tuesday, April 17th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. A light dinner will be served. This is for members only with a nominal sign up fee of $1. You may sign up at our Sales Desk on February 21st. Sign up is required so we will know how many to plan for. We need your input for our next season so please come. We hope to see you there.
10. TECHNOLOGY CLUB MEETING: The Technology Race is on, but How can you have Fun Watching the Race when you are unaware Where the Race is taking place? Hint: It’s going on right up the street. Discover the Fast-Moving Advances in Television, Wireless Internet Connections to our Homes and exciting innovations to our Cell Phone Technology. Plus - there are new and inexpensive ways to improve your home security. And, do you know how to scan documents in our Lab? Learn about All these at Wednesday’s Tech Club Meeting, 10am.
11. LOCKER ROOMS: Lockers are for daily use only. Lockers may be used without charge. Padlocks may be placed on lockers while in use, but then must be removed and the locker cleared after each visit. Overnight use of the lockers is not permitted.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association