The Sunflower Communicator
|February 9, 2018||Volume 8, Number 7|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 782
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. TUCSON SENIOR PICKLEBALL OLYMPICS UPDATE: Bernadette (Bernie) Bruner won a gold medal in women's (70+) 4.0/4.5 doubles. Mike Baldwin and Ralph Perillo teamed up and won a gold medal in (70+) men's 3.0 doubles. Bernie also won a bronze medal in mixed (70+) 4.0 doubles. Congratulations!
2. VETERANS CLUB WINTER FUND RAISING BBQ: February 17th, 2018. LAST CHANCES FOR BBQ TICKETS: Saturday, February 10th from 9-11 and Sunday, February 11th from 1:30 to 3:30 plus by special arrangements till February 13th for the meal on the 17th. $10.00 gets you two pieces of meat and sides. There will be no late sales and no divided plates because appropriate quantities of foods need to be purchased. Thank you for your support.
3. FEBRUARY DANCE: Tap your toes to an evening with friends and good music, provided by Dick Smith's Dance Band on Saturday, February 10th in the Fiesta Room from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. A $5.00 donation PP would be appreciated.
4. SENIOR CARE FAIR: Saturday, February 10, from 11am to 2pm in the Fiesta Room and the Library. A group of 25 companies will be present covering many topics related to the care of seniors from medical to legal to financial to residential to hospice to final arrangements. The Station will be available at the patio grill area for the purchase of lunch, which can be consumed on the patio or in the Craft Room. You can gain information helpful to yourself or in caring for loved ones and eat a great lunch, too!
5. AARP TAX AIDE 2017 TAXES: AARP Tax Aide will be doing taxes for the 2017 tax season beginning February 1st from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm every Thursday until April 12th at the Abbett Library. Please bring your previous year’s tax return(s), Social Security cards and photo ID for each taxpayer, checkbook or blank check for direct deposit or debit. All documents that provide information regarding income, e.g. W-2, 1099- forms from brokers and social security, should also be brought with you. This is a free service and is on a first come-first served basis. No appointments are made.
6. SUNFLOWER VILLAGE CENTER BLOOD DRIVE: Monday, February 12th from 8:00am to 12:00 noon. Make your appointment NOW to donate blood by calling 877-827-4376.
7. VINTAGE GARDENER MEMBERS: February Field Trip on Wed Feb 14th at Tohono Chul - $6/member, $10/nonmember. Partake in Ethnobotany (Native plant use) docent led tour at 10am, followed by the optional Wednesday's "Birds of Prey" program starting at 11am. You may also tour the gardens/gift shop/restaurant. Anticipate being there from 10-12:30. Meet at Center by 9:15am in Billiards Room to assign cars. Leave by 9:30am. Admission is paid at the door. Must sign up by 2/10/18 since a head count is required. Contact Nancy Hrigora to sign up for the event, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 810-923-4117.
8. ROMEOS' FIRST NOTICE: There will be a Dinner Pasty Party on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at the Village Center. Last May, as part of their regular lunch gathering, the ROMEO'S had a Pasty Party Picnic on the back patio of the Village Center. It was a 'men only' picnic. Everyone attending enjoyed their individual flaky crust pie that is available in a variety of fillings, there is even a vegetarian offering. For anyone who is not familiar with item, it was originally created for the Cornish miners to provide them with a hot meal that they could hold in one hand. The tradition has continued through the years and is found in many areas of this country where mining exists, particularly in Upper Michigan and Minnesota. See the March Suncatcher for complete details. This will be an extra ROMEO event and LADIES ARE MORE THAN WELCOME to attend.
9. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: Sunday, February 11 in the Craft Room from 2:00 until 3:30 we will offer Device Help for any residents of Sunflower. I always call this a "Triage" session, because we try to give you a brief bit of help with your phones or tablets. We have two Tech Club members who are joining us to assist with Android phones. The next session will be Sunday, February 25.
10. TRAVEL CLUB: Our next Sales Desk will be Wednesday, February 14th, from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Please note that this is the last day to sign up for the March 20th – 23rd Palm Springs trip with full payment required. The price is $750 per couple or $580 for a single room. For those who have already signed up but have not made their final payment it is due on February 14th. We will also be selling tickets for the Saturday, March 10th 7:05 p.m. game of the AZ Roadrunners Hockey team at $24 pp. The reserved seats in Section 202 – Rows H-L are center seating and handicap accessible. This event is open to All Sunflower Residents – no Travel Club membership required. There is no transportation required. There are still two tickets left for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour at $100 per person. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required. Call Tim Murphy at 797-4954 with any questions. For those going on our TSO “Let’s Dance” trip this Sunday the 11th please note that the bus will leave from the center at 1:00 p.m. and that we should be back no later than 5:00 p.m.
11. GENEALOGY CLUB: New, for those residents who want to pursue their genealogy interests, but are still working or for other reasons are unable to make any of the weekday events, the Genealogy Club is offering Sunday genealogy research mentoring workshops from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., February 18th. Please join us at the Village Center.
12. 4TH ANNUAL NORTHWEST PARTY: Time again for everyone with roots in Alaska, Washington, Oregon
13. ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION: SAVE THE DATE! Sunday, March 4, 2018 for the ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION. Come and take part in our 200th Birthday Party and enjoy this unique Illinois Day. We have invited a special mystery guest to join us. It will take place in the Fiesta Room from 1-3pm. Bring an "Illinois dish," if possible, and join your friends for a special celebration.
14. FITNESS CLUB SWEATSHIRTS: The Fitness Club has 2 grey, zip-up hooded sweatshirts available for sale. They have Sunflower Fitness on the front, left chest area. Size small ($33.00) and size 3XL ($35.00). You don't need to be a member of the Fitness Club to purchase. If you are interested, contact Sue Uden (928)916-0059.
15. ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE - EDNA AND ELY: Don’t forget to get your tickets for Edna & Ely.They will be performing some smooth jazz, R & B, soul, Motown, etc. in our Fiesta room on Sunday, Feb.18th at 2:30. We’ll be selling tickets on Feb. 14th from 1:00-2:00. Price just $10.00
16. 2017 SOUTHERN ARIZONA HOMEBUILDERS ASSOCIATION REMODELER OF THE YEAR: Shorbe Construction, the contractor for the Sunnierflower Revitalization project, was awarded the 2017 SAHBA Remodeler of the Year award at SAHBA'a annual awards and installation banquet last week. A group of six judges, all members of SAHBA, toured the Village Center as well as other projects submitted for this category. Shorbe Construction was awarded Remodeler of the year for the Sunflower project.
17. ASSET SALE: We are cleaning out the U-haul pods since the Revitalization project is done. The are many items to bid on. The photos, etc are on Sunflowerliving.com under the What's New tab. There is a binder and bid forms at the Village located at the Community/Travel Club bulletin board. Bids may be submitted through March 5, 2018. Bye Bye Pods!
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association