The Sunflower Communicator
|February 2, 2018||Volume 8, Number 6|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 780
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. SENIOR OLYMPICS UPDATES: Backstroke Swimming Competition: Jim McDonald won first place in both the 50 yard and 100 yard backstroke on January 25th.
Christy Muhlbauer won a bronze medal in table tennis women's singles (55-65 age group) and Christy and Peter Marzea won a bronze medal in table tennis mixed doubles (55-65 age group).
2. VETERANS CLUB WINTER FUND RAISING BBQ: February 17th, 2018. Next Veterans Club BBQ Fundraiser Ticket Purchase Opportunity: February 7th between 11AM and Noon at the clubhouse. Tickets are $10 and each ticket is for two pieces of meat, condiments and sides. Get your tickets before it is too late.
3. FEBRUARY DANCE: Tap your toes to an evening with friends and good music, provided by Dick Smith's Dance Band on Saturday, February 10th in the Fiesta Room from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. A $5.00 donation PP would be appreciated.
4. AARP TAX AIDE 2017 TAXES: AARP Tax Aide will be doing taxes for the 2017 tax season beginning February 1st from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm every Thursday until April 12th at the Abbett Library. Please bring your previous year’s tax return(s), Social Security cards and photo ID for each taxpayer, checkbook or blank check for direct deposit or debit. All documents that provide information regarding income, e.g. W-2, 1099- forms from brokers and social security, should also be brought with you. This is a free service and is on a first come-first served basis. No appointments are made.
5. SUNFLOWER VILLAGE CENTER BLOOD DRIVE: Monday, February 12th from 8:00am to 12:00 noon. Make your appointment NOW to donate blood by calling 877-827-4376.
6. THE FASCINATING HISTORY OF THE SUNFLOWER NEIGHBORHOOD:
Come to Sherry Gartner's presentation "The Fascinating History of the Sunflower Neighborhood" to be held on Sunday, February 4, at 1:30pm in the Fiesta Room. Sherry has added to her previous similar program with new information on Native American and early European history under and around Sunflower. Share her passion about local history as a lead-in to a walking tour in early March.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS FEBRUARY ARIZONA TALES: Our February 17th event will be "Arizona Tales. We will have a chicken dinner catered by Cracker Barrel followed by ladies from the Arizona Historical Society portraying two early Arizona women. Larcena Pennington was kidnapped by the Apaches in 1860 and her daughter, Mary Ann Page, married the “Best Catch” in Tucson but found out that he wasn’t such a good catch after all. Social time is 5:30 with dinner at 6:00. The price is $10 for the event and $5 for the annual dues if you haven't already paid them. Ticket sales will be Tuesday, February 6th. Please note that you don't have to be single to join. We have several married couples. Call Fran Gauthier @ 572-2167 with questions.
8. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: February 11, February 25 and March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
9. TRAVEL CLUB: Our next sales desk will be on Wednesday, February 7th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. You can be put on a wait list for the TSO We February 11th 2:00 p.m. performance of “Let’s Dance” at $64 pp. Transportation provided. Sales are also continuing for the March 20th – 23rd Palm Springs Trip. The price is $750/couple with a $200 deposit or $580/single with a $150 deposit. Call Joan Forgue at 572-8997 with any questions. We have two tickets available for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour. The price of $100 for this all day tour includes bus transportation with a wine tour guide onboard, wine tastings at four vineyards and lunch. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required. When those two tickets are gone we will start a Waiting List in case there are any cancellations. If there is enough interest we could possibly have an additional tour on another date. Also on sale are tickets for the Saturday, March 10th 7:05 p.m. game of the AZ Roadrunners Hockey team at $24 pp. Center Seating – handicap accessible. Seats are in Section 202 – Rows H-L. This event is open to ALL SUNFLOWER RESIDENTS and there is no transportation provided.
10. GENEALOGY CLUB: New, for those residents who want to pursue their genealogy interests, but are still working or for other reasons are unable to make any of the weekday events, the Genealogy Club is offering Sunday genealogy research mentoring workshops from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., February 4th and 18th. Please join us at the Village Center.
11. SUNFLOWER SENIOR CARE FAIR: The Sunflower Senior Care Fair will be held on Saturday, February 10th, from 11am to 2pm in the Fiesta Room and the Library. A group of 25 companies will be present covering many topics related to the care of seniors from medical to legal to financial to residential to hospice to final arrangements. The Station will be available at the patio grill area for the purchase of lunch, which can be consumed on the patio or in the Craft Room. You can gain information helpful to yourself or in caring for loved ones and eat a great lunch, too!
12. ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION: SAVE THE DATE! Sunday, March 4, 2018 for the ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION. Come and take part in our 200th Birthday Party and enjoy this unique Illinois Day. We have invited a special mystery guest to join us. It will take place in the Fiesta Room from 1-3pm. Bring an "Illinois dish," if possible, and join your friends for a special celebration. A planning party will take place on Monday, February 5th from 10am-noon, in the Fiesta Room. Come and give us your ideas and thoughts on celebrating the 200th Birthday of our State. Jim and Barbara Buchler
13. FITNESS CLUB SWEATSHIRTS: The Fitness Club has 2 grey, zip-up hooded sweatshirts available for sale. They have Sunflower Fitness on the front, left chest area. Size small ($33.00) and size 3XL ($35.00). You don't need to be a member of the Fitness Club to purchase. If you are interested, contact Sue Uden (928)916-0059.
14. ACTIVITIES COMMITTEE - EDNA AND ELY: Don’t forget to get your tickets for Edna & Ely.They will be performing some smooth jazz, R & B, soul, Motown, etc. in our Fiesta room on Sunday, Feb.18th at 2:30. We’ll be selling tickets on Feb. 7th from 10:00-11:00 and on Feb. 14th from 1:00-2:00. Price just $10.00
15. SUBMITTAL FOR THE COMMUNICATOR: When submitting an article for the Communicator, please just send the text in the body of an email. PDF files have to be converted to word and then copied and pasted into Notepad before placing into the program used for the Communicator. Sending the text in the body of an email reduces formatting errors caused by copying and pasting multiple times. Photos may be send as jpgs and attached to an email.
16. ACTIVITY AND GUEST CARDS: Activity Cards and guest punch cards must be presented at the front desk when using the
Village Center for the purpose of swimming, fitness, billiards, tennis, bocce, etc. Sign-In will once again be required for all activities. Proximity cards may be used at the front east gate when the Center is closed to use the fitness center and pool. Both of these areas close at 11pm nightly.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association