Trouble viewing this email? Read the newsletter on the web (available within 24 hours).
The Sunflower Communicator
|January 26, 2018||Volume 8, Number 5|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 780
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. BOCCE: The Tucson Senior Olympic Bocce Tournament - Day 1
2. VETERANS CLUB WINTER FUND RAISING BBQ: February 17th, 2018. Tickets will be on sale, Wednesday, January 31st between 2 and 4 and are $10. Each ticket includes two pieces of meat, buns, condiments and sides. Due to popular demand, we will be selling two seating times this year. In the event of inclement weather the Fiesta room cannot hold enough people without somehow spacing out the diners. So…..please decide if you want tickets for the 11:30 to 12:30 seating or the 12:30 to 1:30 seating and then head on down to the Clubhouse.
3. GREAT MINNESOTA GET TOGETHER: Sunday, January 28 from 1-3pm in the Fiesta Room. Please bring Hors d'oeuvres, salad or your favorite Minnesota dish to share. Coffee, tea and water will be provided or bring your own drink. You can plan on havin some good ol Minnesota fun...ya sure!
4. FEBRUARY DANCE: Bring your "Sweetheart" to Dance on Saturday, February 10th , in the Fiesta Room. Time: 6:00p.m. - social time, 6:30p.m. to 8:30p.m. - dance time. Donations are appreciated. BYOB. Entertainment provided by Dick Smith's Dance Band.
5. TREASURE YOUR VALENTINE POTLUCK: Tickets for the "Treasure Your Valentine" February 8th potluck will go on sale January 31st and February 1st from 10AM until Noon. Inquiries may be addressed to Jacqui Tibbs at 520-360-6351. Social Hour at 5:30pm; Dinner at 6:00PM.
6. VINTAGE GARDENERS MEETING: Vintage Gardeners are calling all Sunflower Artists and Designers to a meeting on Saturday,January 27th at 1pm in the Fiesta Room. It has been 5 years since the Vintage Gardeners' "Floral Interpretation Art Show", and with much encouragement, Vintage Gardeners have agreed to do it again on Sunday, March 18th. We are calling the show "HOW YOU SEE IT". We have such great talent here, that we need to show it off. We are collecting names of Sunflower artists/photographers and floral designers to participate in this event. This is a fun and exciting event and with many original creations - it will be spectacular. Call Elaine Marros (520)572-7456 or Effie Shrock (520)744-5152.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS FEBRUARY ARIZONA TALES: Our February 17th event will be "Arizona Tales. We will have a chicken dinner catered from Cracker Barrel followed by ladies from the Arizona Historical Society portraying two early Arizona women. Larcena Pennington was kidnapped by the Apaches in 1860 and her daughter, Mary Ann Page, married the “Best Catch” in Tucson but found out that he wasn’t such a good catch after all. Social time is 5:30 with dinner at 6:00. The price is $10 for the event and $5 for the annual dues if you haven't already paid them. Ticket sales will be Tuesday, January 30th from 10:00 to Noon and Thursday, February 1st from 1:00 to 3:00p.m. Please note that you don't have to be single to join. We have several married couples.
8. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: February 11, February 25 and March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
9. TRAVEL CLUB: We will be having a sales desk this Saturday, January 27th from 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. We still have a few tickets available for the TSO February 11th 2:00 p.m. performance of “Let’s Dance” at $64 pp. Sales are also continuing for the March 20th – 23rd Palm Springs Trip. The price is $750/couple with a $200 deposit or $580/single with a $150 deposit. Call Joan Forgue at 572-8997 with any questions. We have two tickets available for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour. The price of $100 for this all day tour includes bus transportation with a wine tour guide onboard, wine tastings at four vineyards and lunch. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required. When those two tickets are gone we will start a Waiting List in case there are any cancellations. If there is enough interest we could possibly have an additional tour on another date. Also on sale are tickets for the Saturday, March 10th 7:05 p.m. game of the AZ Roadrunners Hockey team at $24 pp. Center Seating – handicap accessible. Seats are in Section 202 – Rows H-L. This event is open to ALL SUNFLOWER RESIDENTS and there is no transportation provided.
10. PICKLEBALL NEWS: On Wednesday, January 31st, the Pickleball Club will hold their Winter activity. We will be doing a "Dink" tournament. The club will supply desserts. Please bring some kind of appetizer and whatever you like to drink. We will start around 1:30pm. If you wish to participate, please sign up at the court, or email Mike Baldwin at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions, please call 303-931-1561.
11. GENEALOGY CLUB: New, for those residents who want to pursue their genealogy interests, but are still working or for other reasons are unable to make any of the weekday events, the Genealogy Club is offering Sunday genealogy research mentoring workshops from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., January 28th and February 4th and 18th. Please join us at the Village Center.
12. ANNUAL NEW RESIDENT WELCOME PARTY: If you are a homeowner who moved in to Sunflower in 2017 and have not received an invitation to the Annual New Resident Welcome Party, scheduled for February 3 from 2:00- 4:00p.m., please contact Lynn Haye at 520-572-6741.
13. ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION: SAVE THE DATE! Sunday, March 4, 2018 for the ILLINOIS BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION. Come and take part in our 200th Birthday Party and enjoy this unique Illinois Day. We have invited a special mystery guest to join us. It will take place in the Fiesta Room from 1-3pm. Bring an "Illinois dish," if possible, and join your friends for a special celebration. A planning party will take place on Monday, February 5th from 10am-noon, in the Fiesta Room. Come and give us your ideas and thoughts on celebrating the 200th Birthday of our State. Jim and Barbara Buchler
14. TICKETS FOR SALE: Tickets only - no transportation. Open to all SF residents, no Travel Club membership required. Purchase at Travel Club sales desk this Saturday, January 27th 8-11am, at the center.
AZ RoadRunners Hockey Game, March 10th 7:05 game $24/pp. Section 202, prime seats. Get friends together and cheer on our local talent. $1 Food and giveaway night.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association