The Sunflower Communicator
|January 19, 2018||Volume 8, Number 03|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 783
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. BOCCE: The Tucson Senior Olympic Bocce Tournament will be played here at Sunflower Jan 22 - Jan 27, 2018. We will have 7 women's teams, 16 men's teams and 12 co-ed teams competing from all over the Tucson area. If you can, come on out and cheer on your favorite teams and players. Side note: with all the teams, parking will be limited, please use the east parking lot so the visiting teams can park in the west parking lot.
2. VETERANS CLUB WINTER FUND RAISING BBQ: February 17th, 2018. Tickets will go on sale this Saturday, January 20th between 9 and 11 and are $10. They include two pieces of meat, buns, condiments and sides. Due to popular demand, we will be selling two seating times this year. In the event of inclement weather the Fiesta room cannot hold enough people without somehow spacing out the diners. So…..please decide if you want tickets for the 11:30 to 12:30 seating or the 12:30 to 1:30 seating and then head on down to the Clubhouse.
3. GREAT MINNESOTA GET TOGETHER: Sunday, January 28 from 1-3pm in the Fiesta Room. Please bring Hors d'oeuvres, salad or your favorite Minnesota dish to share. Coffee, tea and water will be provided or bring your own drink. You can plan on havin some good ol Minnesota fun...ya sure!
4. RETIRED OLD MEN EATING OUT: The Retired Old Men Eating Out group meets for breakfast on the third Tuesday of each month. In January, it is the 23rd. We get separate checks and there are no dues to pay. All men of Sunflower and their male guests are welcome to join us. We'll carpool from the Village Center at 8:30am to keep our 9am reservation at the Crying Onion (Thornydale and Orange Grove). Just sign up no later than noon on Monday, 1/22 so we can tell the Crying Onion the count to set for the guys. As Mikey said, "Try it, you'll like it." PS: we also do lunch. In February we're going Chinese honoring Chinese New Year, the Year of the Dog.
5. TREASURE YOUR VALENTINE POTLUCK: Tickets for the "Treasure Your Valentine" February 8th potluck will go on sale January 31st and February 1st from 10AM until Noon. Inquiries may be addressed to Jacqui Tibbs at 520-360-6351. Social Hour at 5:30pm; Dinner at 6:00PM.
6. KARAOKE SING-ALONG: Tuesday, 1/23/18. Have fun with Sing-Along Karaoke Tunes. Your Favorite Oldies Artists include The Everly Brothers, Shirelles, Elvis, Bill Haley, & more. Get out of the house & Come On Down to the Center for an evening of happy Entertainment with Host Louie this Tuesday evening the 23rd at 6:30pm.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS WINTER WONDERLAND: For those coming to our “Winter Wonderland” this Saturday please note that we will start selling tickets for our February 17th “Arizona Tales” event that night. We will have a “repeat performance” from the two ladies from the Arizona Historical Society who have been here before sharing the lives of Josephine Sadie Earp and Nellie Cashman. This time they will portray two other early Arizona women. Larcena Pennington was kidnapped by the Apaches in 1860 and her daughter, Mary Ann Page, married the “Best Catch” in Tucson but found out that he wasn’t such a good catch after all. We will have a chicken dinner from Cracker Barrel at $10 per person.
8. VINTAGE GARDENERS: Come join us for the first meeting of 2018, at 10:30 am, on January 22nd in the Fiesta Room. Our speaker will be Julie Strom who is the Education Program Coordinator for the Pima County National Resources Office. She will be sharing with us on how to attract birds and butterflies to our yards. Not a member? You can join for $5 at this meeting.
9. CULINARY CLUB MEETING: The Culinary Club will meet Monday, January 29th at 10:30 am in the Fiesta Room. Our theme will be appetizers. It is not necessary to sign-up in advance. If you attend, please bring enough of an appetizer so that 6-8 people may each have two bites. Please also bring a serving utensil and your own beverage. Ice water, paper plates, cups, forks and napkins will be provided. If you have not yet joined, you may do so at the January meeting. Dues for 2018 are $1 per person. Hope that we will see you on the 29th.
10. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: January 21, February 11, February 25 and March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
11. TRAVEL CLUB: We’re having a special sales desk on Saturday, January 27th from 8:00 to 10:00 a.m. We still have a few tickets available for the TSO February 11th 2:00 p.m. performance of “Let’s Dance” at $64 pp. Sales are also continuing for the March 20th – 23rd Palm Springs Trip. The price is $750/couple with a $200 deposit or $580/single with a $150 deposit. Call Joan Forgue at 572-8997 with any questions. We have two tickets available for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour. The price of $100 for this all day tour includes bus transportation with a wine tour guide onboard, wine tastings at four vineyards and lunch. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required. When those two tickets are gone we will start a Waiting List in case there are any cancellations. If there is enough interest we could possibly have an additional tour on another date. Also on sale are tickets for the Saturday, March 10th 7:05 p.m. game of the AZ Roadrunners Hockey team at $24 pp. Center Seating – handicap accessible. Seats are in Section 202 – Rows H-L. This event is open to ALL SUNFLOWER RESIDENTS and there is no transportation provided.
12. PICKLEBALL NEWS: Congratulations to Bernadette Bruner and Ralph Perillo for bringing home medals in the USAPA Southwest Regional Super Senior International Pickleball Association Event in Surprise, AZ. Bernie won silver medals in skill 4.0, age 70 to 74 in Mixed Doubles and also in Women's singles. Ralph won bronze medals in skill 3.0, age 70 to 74 in Men's Doubles and also in Mixed Doubles. Good going Bernie and Ralph!
In the Happy Trails Classic Bernadette Bruner won the gold medal in skill 4.0, 70+ Mixed Doubles and she also won a silver medal in skill 4.0, 70+ Women's Doubles! Way to go Bernie!
13. GENEALOGY CLUB: New, for those residents who want to pursue their genealogy interests, but are still working or for other reasons are unable to make any of the weekday events, the Genealogy Club is offering Sunday genealogy research mentoring workshops from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., January 28th and February 4th and 18th. Please join us at the Village Center.
14. ANNUAL NEW RESIDENT WELCOME PARTY: If you are a homeowner who moved in to Sunflower in 2017 and have not received an invitation to the Annual New Resident Welcome Party, scheduled for February 3 from 2:00- 4:00p.m., please contact Lynn Haye at 520-572-6741.
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association