The Sunflower Communicator
|January 12, 2018||Volume 8, Number 02|
In This Issue
You can read this newsletter (and previous issues)
on the Web
Visit the Sunflower Website:
Staff Phone Numbers:
Front Desk: ext. 10
Admen Assistant: ext. 11
Manager: ext. 18
Sunflower Village Center Hours of Operation:
Mon, Wed & Fri:
7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Tue, Thu & Sat:
7:00 am - 9:00 pm
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Swimming Pool and Fitness Center Hours of Operation:
Daily 5:00 am - 11 pm
Current Number of Subscribers: 783
Keeping the Sunflower Community informed with the latest news and announcements.
A new issue of the newsletter will be emailed to subscribers whenever the Association has information to be shared with the community on a timely basis.
The Latest News
1. BOCCE: The Tucson Senior Olympic Bocce Tournament will be played here at Sunflower Jan 22 - Jany 27, 2018. We will have 7 women's teams, 16 men's teams and 12 co-ed teams competing from all over the Tucson area. If you can, come on out and cheer on your favorite teams and players. Side note: with all the teams, parking will be limited, please use the east parking lot so the visiting teams can park in the west parking lot.
2. CASINO TRIP: The first casino trip for the year will be on Monday, January 22nd to Wild Horse Casino. An update to the particulars: the casino is requesting $15 upfront to go on the trip; that $15 will include a $30 value of $25 in free play and $5 food voucher. Sign up at the front desk with your name and phone number. If we get enough people, we will let you know when and where we will collect the $15. We will need 45 people to make this trip happen....see you on the trip!
3. GREAT MINNESOTA GET TOGETHER: Sunday, January 28 from 1-3pm in the Fiesta Room. Please bring Hors d'oeuvres, salad or your favorite Minnesota dish to share. Coffee, tea and water will be provided or bring your own drink. You can plan on havin some good ol Minnesota fun...ya sure!
4. FROM THE PRAC CORNER: One of the best gifts you can give to your community is to be a volunteer. And our PRAC committee, in particular, needs that extra special person. Please drop a line to the Board by filling out a volunteer request form from the front desk or from Sunflowerliving.com. PRAC is looking for individuals that have an interest in helping to obtain a reasonable life from their Sunflower assets. Please call our Recruiting Advisor, Jeannette Dougherty at 520-744-4786 for more direction. Thanks again ... Walt Peek, PRAC chair
5. TREASURE YOUR VALENTINE POTLUCK: Tickets for the "Treasure Your Valentine" February 8th potluck will go on sale January 31st and February 1st from 10AM until Noon. Inquiries may be addressed to Jacqui Tibbs at 520-360-6351. Social Hour at 5:30pm; Dinner at 6:00PM.
6. TRAVEL CLUB: Our next sales desk will be next Wednesday, January 17th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. This is the first day that we will be selling tickets for the April 12th Sonoita Wine Tour. The price of $100 for this all day tour includes bus transportation with a wine tour guide onboard, wine tastings at four vineyards and lunch. Travel Club or Bacchus Wine Club membership required - limit of 30 people. We still have some tickets available for the TSO February 11th 2:00p.m. performance of "Let's Dance" at $64pp. Sales are also continuing for the March 20th - 23rd Palm Springs Trip. The price is $750/couple with a $200 deposit or $580/single with a $150 deposit. Call Joan Forgue at 572-8997 with any questions.
7. SINGLES AND FRIENDS WINTER WONDERLAND: Come join Singles and Friends for our "Winter Wonderland" on January 20, 2018 with entertainment by our own Sunflower Chorale. We'll have a lasagna dinner, meat or vegetarian. You will have to pay your 2018 membership dues of $5.00, as well as $10 for the January event for a total of $15. Our last sales date will be next Tuesday, January 16th from from 10:00am to 12:00 noon if tickets are still available. Please be aware that you don't have to be "Single" to join. We have several married couples as members. Call Barb Bush at 682-7994 with any questions.
8. VINTAGE GARDENERS: Come join us for the first meeting of 2018, at 10:30 am, on January 22nd in the Fiesta Room. Our speaker will be Julie Strom who is the Education Program Coordinator for the Pima County National Resources Office. She will be sharing with us on how to attract birds and butterflies to our yards. Not a member? You can join for $5 at this meeting.
9. CULINARY CLUB MEETING: The Culinary Club will meet Monday, January 29th at 10:30 am in the Fiesta Room. Our theme will be appetizers. It is not necessary to sign-up in advance. If you attend, please bring enough of an appetizer so that 6-8 people may each have two bites. Please also bring a serving utensil and your own beverage. Ice water, paper plates, cups, forks and napkins will be provided. If you have not yet joined, you may do so at the January meeting. Dues for 2018 are $1 per person. Hope that we will see you on the 29th.
10. TECHNOLOGY CLUB: The Sunflower Technology Club continues to provide Device Help on Sundays from 2:00 to 3:30pm. We are grateful to have the volunteer help of National Honor Society Members from Marana High School. Dates coming up: January 21, February 11, February 25 and March 11. These sessions are open to all residents.
11. TECH CLUB MONTHLY MEETING: This is a meeting you don't want to miss! Dr. Peter Ott, MD, from the U of A will discuss the latest technology to treat heart rhythm disorders. Also, learn different ways to get books on your devices through our libraries. It's a new year - the lab and WiFi passwords are about to change, so it's time to pay your dues! Meeting is Wednesday, January 17 at 10am.
12. PICKLEBALL NEWS: Congratulations to Bernadette Bruner for winning a bronze medal in the Tommy Wong Memorial PB Tournament in the 65+ Women's Doubles, 4.0 Skill Level Division. Way to go Bernie!
13. GENEALOGY CLUB: New, for those residents who want to pursue their genealogy interests, but are still working or for other reasons are unable to make any of the weekday events, the Genealogy Club is offering Sunday genealogy research mentoring workshops from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., January 15th and 28th and February 4th and 18th. Please join us at the Village Center.
14. TICKETS FOR SALE!: Tickets only - no transportation. Open to all SF residents , no membership required. Purchase at Travel Club sales desk W January 17th 1-3pm OR Sat January 27th 8-11am. AZ RoadRunners Hockey Game March 10th 7:05 game $24/pp Section 202 prime seats. Get friends together and cheer on our local talent. $1 Food and giveaway night
Sunflower Community Association
Copyright © 2018 Sunflower Community Association